My drawing and painting life
September 1st I intend to start a year of painting daily.
Last year I joined a challenge making 101 pieces of art work in a 101 day period. As I joined the group late, I set my target a little lower than some. This really helped me to up my pace and make a lot of art. I decided to enter another challenge and started the 101 Bird challenge. To keep me going.
I loved the effect of being in the challenge. This time I want to challenge myself into making art daily.
I haven’t completely decided on the parameters of the challenge. Here’s some of the questions I am thinking about:
1. Should it be a painting always? (I am leaning towards a yes). Or would a drawing do? And if a drawing does fit, should it have taken a considerable amount of time? …. I do have drawings that were made in only 30 seconds – that is wonderful for getting (or keeping) the drawing muscles going, but is it enough for the creation of a daily art practice? Some of the drawings I’ve done and like a lot were done in an hour, others in 30 to 60 seconds…
2. Should it be a standard size? That could be both easy because I won’t have to think about it, but it could become bothersome (an interesting question….).
3. I want to blog about it. Should it be a daily blogpost? I have recently found that being away from the internet and from people responding to my art has a kind of freeing effect – not having anyone looking over my shoulder all the time is relaxing. It shouldn’t be so relaxed that I stop feeling challenged or motivated of course…
I am very inspired by some other people who started on a challenge like this, especially Niya Christines year of painting. She said afterwards that in hindsight she didn’t think if she ever did it again she would be posting daily.
So I am thinking about posting daily at first (at least 21 days) and after a while moving into twice a week mode…
4. I don’t want to go into 101 days mode again. 365 days is the target. To keep it fresh I should perhaps choose themes that vary from time to time. Choosing a theme per month may be a good idea. Again, I am inspired a great deal by Niya Christines choice for monthly themes.
5. Do I need other parameters?
Dear reader, if you have any thoughts about these questions, I’d love to hear them. Please leave them in the comment section below! I ‘d appreciate them very much!
Sheep Art by Catherine
A veritable glass playground for artists and hobbyists alike!
The greatest WordPress.com site in all the land!
Illustrations and more
Sharing my passion for card making, papercrafts, & watercolor
slowly...gently...kindly.... Shena Meadowcroft ~ SoulSpeak Studio
Discovering the joy of art.
Color me brightly
Rise and Shine!
A Journey in living simply, in living off the land and in giving back.
Fine Art and Illustration
News from my neck of the woods
Contemporary, Impressionistic fine art paintings
Rantings, Ravings & Art from the ❤
a blog of two friends