My drawing and painting life
I was inspired to write this post by a photo on the Facebook page of SoulSpeak Studio; an image stating rules about living mindful or Zen and living. It was shared by my artist friend Shena Meadowcroft on August 23rd.
Shena’d found these lines about the art of Zen and living on a facebook page called Unify. Go and look up the image if you like. It went like:
– Do one thing at the time.
– Do it slowly and deliberately.
and so on…
Shena quoted this and asked: ‘Can you translate this into your practicing art making’. An interesting question. I tried and came up with the following.
Zen and art:
– Do one technique at a time.
– Enjoy the doing as much as the finishing.
– Make the painstaking detail work into a kind of meditation. Enjoy it.
– Make sure you do several pieces in this one technique (next to of after another).
– Really experience the finishing of it. Celebrate!
– Reflect on what you’ve learned from making this piece. Enjoy it.
– Reflect on what you liked doing this piece.
– Enjoy the simple things: the parts you like. (For a moment, forget the parts you don’t like) Celebrate, crop, display.
– Enjoy making the next thing even better.
– Enjoy the mistakes. Learn and move on.
I’m adding a piece I was working on. By the time I will be finished, it will be a bird, I’m sure. But it was fun doing this background. I enjoyed it tremendously. Looking for beautiful papers. Tearing. Gluing. Adding crayons. Wetting and activating the marks. Brayering with gesso. Spraying inks. Brown. Yellow. Some Green. Orange. Red. Red. Red. Letting it drip. Drip drip drip. Letting it dry. 😉
Sheep Art by Catherine
The greatest WordPress.com site in all the land!
Illustrations and more
Sharing my passion for card making, papercrafts, & watercolor
slowly...gently...kindly.... Shena Meadowcroft ~ SoulSpeak Studio
Discovering the joy of art.
Color me brightly
Rise and Shine!
A Journey in living simply, in living off the land and in giving back.
Fine Art and Illustration
News from my neck of the woods
Contemporary, Impressionistic fine art paintings
Rantings, Ravings & Art from the ❤
a blog of two friends
Creative watercolor illustrations and designs for fabric, wallpaper, gift wrap, stationary and cards